Pastoral Care Services at MedWest-Harris
Being in the hospital can be a different kind of experience for many people. We want you know that Pastoral care staff and volunteers are available to provide presence and support for you and your family during your hospital stay.
The Pastoral care staff and volunteers are trained to respect the religious commitments of all of our families and will not impose any particular beliefs or values on you. We serve patients and families of all faiths, as well as those who do not identify with any particular religion. Our chaplain will be respectful and supportive of your personal faith, values and beliefs.
Chaplains are available to assist you with a wide variety of spiritual and emotional needs, including:
- coping with the stress of illness and hospitalization
- discussing difficult decisions
- dealing with bad news from the doctor
- easing the loneliness and isolation of a hospital stay
- offering religious rituals, including sacraments, scripture readings, and prayer
- contacting a faith representative of your own religious tradition
Chaplains and volunteers are available 24 hours a day for emergencies.Your nurse or other staff member can assist you in requesting support after hours if you have an urgent need.
Our Chapel at MedWest Harris
The Stella B. Hennessee Chapel is a sacred space for reflection, prayer and meditation. And is located just off the main hallway by the gift shop near the courtyard. Our chapel is open at all hours for our patients, family members and our staff.
Support of the Program
We are grateful for the generosity and vision of Mr. & Mrs. WC Hennessee for creating a foundation and engaging the church community for funding the chaplaincy ministry. The support by regular gifts of local churches and individuals help continue the chaplaincy ministry. You may join others in supporting the Chaplaincy with your daily prayers and a gift to MedWest Foundation earmarked for the Chaplaincy and Pastoral Care Department.
We realize how important spiritual care is to our patients, families and hospital staff and we want to facilitate the healing influence that faith provides.
MedWest Pastoral Care Seeks Community Clergy
Our MedWest Staff Chaplains value our relationship with area churches and their clergy. We know it takes all of us working together to provide meaningful spiritual care. If you are a member of the clergy, we hope you will consider us a partner in ministry—and a valuable resource for you and your congregation.
We welcome the opportunity to assist clergy members locate patients, contact you or your church when a member is hospitalized. And if you are unable to visit your members or parishioners, let us know; we'll be glad to fill in till you arrive.
You Can Register With Us
By registering with Pastoral Care offers several important benefits, including:
- Receive a Clergy Visitor Identification Badge
- notification when members or parishioners are hospitalized
- information about confidentiality and other patient policies
- begin a supportive relationship with the Chaplains Office
- consideration as a volunteer chaplain in one of our hospitals
In order to do so please request an application form from the Chaplain’s office 586-7145 or MedWest Staff services 586-7408.
Spiritual Support MedWest Employees and Medical Staff
As employees in Healthcare today, we know you work hard and put your hearts on the line everyday, caring for patients, giving all that you have. Sometimes, the day is long and challenging in this profession and can leave you spiritually drained. Once in a while circumstances arise that are especially difficult to understand and to handle.
Our Pastoral Care staff is here for you, too.
- Our chaplains are available and visit hospital departments daily.
- Our chaplains are glad to listen while being sensitive to you personal values and beliefs.
- Please know our doors are open
When you need an encouraging word, hope or just someone to listen, call Pastoral Care at (828) 586-7145 or email firstname.lastname@example.org